[governance] open consultations and MAG meeting

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Mon Mar 2 06:25:55 EST 2009

Ian Peter wrote:
> Thanks Parminder for an excellent summary. Although I wasn’t present at
> the MAG part of proceedings I did hear afterwards that it was dominated,
> as you say, by a debate on “internationalization of CIR” which many
> found either confusing or annoying.

Hi, here are some notes in addition to what Parminder wrote:

I would say that the second day was dominated by a somewhat odd
discussion about "internationalization of CIR". Odd, because quite a few
contributions focussed on the issue whether or not certain wordings are
backed by the Tunis Agenda.

However, on the first day we discussed various other issues, for example
if it makes sense to use categories such as "mature", "contenious" and
"new" to assign specific meeting or discussion formats to the various
topics on the IGF agenda.

Access was also subject to lengthy discussions. Many MAG members thought
  that access should be on the agenda again, despite the fact that at
the end of the Hyderabad meeting many access experts stated that nothing
new  can be expected from discussing access in a broad main session
fashion. Accordingly the question discussed in the MAG meeting was how
we could design a main session on access in more specific terms.

While there is a general willingness to move towards action in certain
areas, particularly those mentioned by Parminder, it is not quite clear
what this means and I would suspect that the intention of transforming
debate into action could lead to further controversies. Not all MAG
members were excited about the prospect of moving beyond mere discussion.

Regarding's Ralf's question on privacy, this issue was broad up by
several people. A general interest focussed on privacy issues relating
to social networking. Information ownership and the right of
informational self-determiniation were brought up several times (this
should also be in the transcript of open consulation). Some MAG members
thought that privacy should be discussed in the context of Internet
security, others objected to such a framing. However, I don't recall a
specific link between the rights and principals proposal and the issue
of privacy.

Judging from the February meeting, I would expect a main session
focussing on various dimensions of privacy. However, this could well
change again at the May meeting, which should make some final decisions
regarding the broad outline of the next IGF's agenda.

Another issue we discussed was the proposal to have a keynote speaker or
a keynote panel who/which would be asked, for example, to create the
bridge between the opening ceremony and the overall topic of this year's
IGF. We couldn't really find agreement on the merits of such a keynote
format. I am sure this will be again on the agenda of the May meeting.

jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org