[governance] open consultations and MAG meeting

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Mon Mar 2 08:29:35 EST 2009

Hi Parminder and all,

Thanks for this feedback. I've some questions, however:

Le 1 mars 09 à 12:11, Parminder a écrit :

> Review of IGF Hyderabad indicated a strong desire among the
> participants that the IGF should now move on from being an IGF 101,
> or a IGF for dummies, and deal with more clearly substantive
> issues, with some possibilities of moving forward on them. This
> directly connects to the sentiment that was prevalent in the
> closing session of IGF Hyderabad. it appears that there is general
> agreement to take some issues that have greater level of agreement
> to 'round tables' for possible recommendation making. Two issues
> that seem to be headed in this direction are (1) child protection
> and (2) disability related access issues (these were mentioned in
> the open consultation but the proposal was developed further in the
> MAG meeting). However the final decision on either the round table
> format or the issues to be taken up has not been taken, and this
> will decided by the re-constituted MAG in May. However, it is this
> new format that mostly likely will mark the next IGF meeting.

What does a 'greater level of agreement' exactly mean? Among whom?
The 3-6 people who participated in 2-3 workshops on a given theme?
How is this agreement measured? Is there at least any synthesis of
the discussions that could show such an agreement (or disagreement)
on a given issue?
Furthermore, agreement on what, exactly? On the fact that children
should be protected, or that access should take into account people
with disabilities? Who could be against that?

Yes, my questions are purely rhetorical. But here is a true one: how
it comes that a 'sentiment' (whose sentiment, BTW?) is used, in such
an arena, to affirm that an issue has reached any agreement? There is
a missing step here, which is that a synthesis of discussions should
be produced on a given issue, providing the results on how it should
be addressed, then that this synthesis be opened to comments and
suggestions, and only then we could identify whether or not there is
an agreement, an on what.

Let's, at least, take this IGF 'conversation' from an oral informal
conversation expressing sentiments to a written conversation relying
on (accountable) arguments..

Best,
     governance at lists.cpsr.org