[governance] Re: Formal warning to Joe Baptista re personal insults and abusive language

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Thu Jul 30 21:39:42 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

>  Dear Joe,
>
> Following from the private email sent to you earlier today by Ginger Paque
> as regards your postings on the list, I am now following up with a formal
> warning . If you continue to post items including personal insults and
> abusive language., you will be suspended from the list.

I understand. censor away :)

> Most people would believe that your threat to “apply the boot” to a list
> member would fall into this category. This came after our warning for using
> phrases such as “I’ll kick your ass” and describing a list members behaviour
> as libellous and slanderous.

It is. But has nothing to do with this list - it is her conduct on another
list. And it may very well be criminal. Remember ICANN is a United States
Government contractor.

As for kicking her ass. I did not say that or at least misspoke. I am
engineering a situation that will kick ICANNs ass.

I assure you sir I would only kick Avris ass if she begged me too. If of
course Avri enjoys the more eclectic forms of S&M.

> This followed a number of complaints from list members.

I'm sure you've been swamped. Please keep a copy of all email archived. I
would like a copy of the complaints and reserve all rights in this.

> There will be no more warnings – as you say, arguing with you is pointless
> and I urge other list members to not respond to these sorts of postings.

exactly.

> I want to make entirely clear that this is not about opinions you might
> have or want to express. It’s about the use of personal insults and abusive
> language.
>
> The relevant section of the charter is below.
>
> Ian Peter and Ginger Paque, Co-coordinators.
>

> Some of the specific guidelines that will be enforced include those
> relating to:
> *No personal insults
> *No spam

Good rules. I agree to abide by them and thanks for pointing them out.

> Failure to abide by netiquette guidelines may result in suspension or
> removal from the IGC list according to the following process:

netiquette is not law.

> The coordinators will first warn a subscriber privately of the problem

i prefer public. If you should have future complaints I believe they should
be public. I find this back door approach of yours repulsive to sensibility
and common sense. If your going to point out an error do it in public for
me. Consider that a standing order.

> If the problem persists the coordinators will notify the subscriber
> publicly on the list of impending suspension from the list. Suspension will
> include only posting rights.
> If the problem persists the subscriber's posting rights will be suspended
> for one (1) month.

OK - a one month vacation - excellent - so I get another warning before
execution. Am I correct in my interpretation?

> Once the subscriber's posting rights are restored, any further problem will
> result in another public warning.

good I like the due process.

> If the problem continues to persist after suspension and a second public
> warning, the coordinators will be permitted to either suspend the posting
> rights for three (3) months or to remove the subscriber from the list.

well let's see how long it takes me to get to three months :) or banned for
life.  it's a bit like a game. And where is all the democracy in this?

You know why I ask. I want to appeal your decision and I want the two of you
on the phone as I dictate my appeal. How do we do this.

I'm into accountability. And I'm worried this decision of yours may be
tainted.

Thats what happened to us at the GA. A U.S. Government contractor hijacked a
process and ended up embarrassed they were caught out. An ICANN employee
tried to get myself the GA monitor and another monitor - Debbie and Hugh to
get ride of a member on a vexatious complaint. When Debbie could not get the
member removed on the complaint she went renegade and kicked the member off
- with Avri's help - and I made public the complaint - which shocked
everyone. Then Avri censored me from the list. Without due process agreed to
between the montors and the chair.

Are you getting the picture here big guy.

I don't intend to sue you - but I do consider those complaint to be possibly
relevant.

Avri - 24 hours to get me on the GA list.

cheers
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com