[governance] Is ICANN listening?

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Tue Jul 28 21:58:01 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:35 PM, <cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>  Avri,
>
> (sorry for delay in response to your very appropriate question  -  Off
> picking Blackberries, trying not to catch fish, Hiking, swimming and
> engaging in general all around conservation efforts within our riparian
> habitats)

ah so a river. your vocabulary is a bit eclectic in your riparian pursuits.

> The By-Laws are really very loose when it comes to the GA.  The transfer
> from Dnso to Gnso or whatever left it in the lurch. But one thing is clear
> -- it is not up to the participants in the GA to keep it running it is up to
> you.

Exactly. Which brings us to another point. When am I being reinstated on the
GA. Do I have to press a button and make ICANN jump?

cheers
joe baptista

> [...]
>    message.

>  Avri and all,
>
>   True enough that the NCUC is nothing at all like the GA.  As to
> whether that is a "Good" thing of not of course is a matter of
> opinion.  The miss characterization of the GA as a "Snake pit"
> is hardly honest.  Yes, it has at times been contentious, but where
> there are issues that lend themselves to very starkly divided opinions,
> often are and should be contentious.
>
>   In any event, the GA at one time had over 900 participants.  Due
> to many factors, over a few years that number has dwindled to
> what I understand is around 200 or so.  Many have contended that
> such a reverse in interest was largely due to a lack of ICON staff
> and Board members participation in a open an transparent manner,
> AND due to a lack of some being more interested is trying to
> enforce on others how to express themselves, ergo lacking free
> speech acumen and consideration accordingly.
>
>   So Miltons assertions and Erics remarks in respect to same, are
> entirely accurate.  BTW Avri, Eric, Danny, and myself have many
> times pointed out directly to you and most of the GNSO council
> members exactly which bylaw has been continually violated.  In
> any event, you are perfectly able to look that fact and the bylaws
> up for yourself I would hope.
>

> Avri Doria wrote:
>
> > On 23 Jul 2009, at 21:33, Eric Dierker wrote:
> >
> > > The constant monitoring, failure to provide for and downright abuse
> > > of participants in the General Assembly of the GNSO in contradiction
> > > of their own by-laws is proof of Milton's assertions.
> >
> > which bylaw are you referring to?
> >
> > at one point i was very interested in seeing the GA list given more of
> > a focus, but the support from the list was never there - it continued
> > to act like a snake pit. and it never got itself to the point where it
> > could get to a coherent consensus like the IGC can - even though they
> > are both civil society efforts open to everyone.
> >
> > further, to compare the NCUC and it efforts to those of the GA List is
> > very insulting to NCUC - they are nothing alike.
> >
> > a.

> Regards,
>
> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
> "Obedience of the law is the greatest freedom" -
>    Abraham Lincoln
> "YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama
>
> "Credit should go with the performance of duty and not with what is
> very often the accident of glory" - Theodore Roosevelt
>
> "If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
> liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
> P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
> United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
> Updated 1/26/04
> CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security IDNS.
> div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
> ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail

Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com