[governance] Is ICANN listening?

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jul 29 06:44:54 EDT 2009

On 29 Jul 2009, at 03:35, cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> it is not up to the participants in the GA to keep it running it is
> up to you.

I take that as the responsibility to make sure the list stays up and
remains orderly, for some definition of orderly.
Additionally I take it as my responsibility to read that list on a
regular basis.

The list is up, it functions, it is moderately orderly and I read it
regularly.

I do not think that responsibility extends to trying to make that list
anything more then a list where people who subscribe and wish to
comment on ICANN related issues can do so in peace. In fact, without a
decision of the GNSO Council approved by the ICANN Board, I would see
trying to change the list as out of scope for me.  That is, I do not
see my responsibility as being one of trying to make the GA list re-
evolve into anything resembling what the GA was meant to be before it
was decimated in the transition from DNSO to GNSO without a proper
policy process - too many people in ICANN already usurp the right to
make policy without proper process, and I am not about to become one
of them  If the list wants to be more then a list or wants to spin off
real organizations then it is the responsibility of those on that list
to do so, and I would not hinder that effort.

In a few months I will no longer be a member of the GNSO Council (I
can hear some people already rejoicing in the background!).  At that
point I will remain a member of the GA list, and at that point, if I
want that list to be something more then a basket for complaints then
it will be become my responsibility as a member of the list to try and
do something.  Until then, I am just one of the caretakers of the GA
list who keep it running and nothing more.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org