[governance] Is ICANN listening?

cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 28 21:35:38 EDT 2009

Avri,

(sorry for delay in response to your very appropriate question  -  Off picking Blackberries, trying not to catch fish, Hiking, swimming and engaging in general all around conservation efforts within our riparian habitats)

The By-Laws are really very loose when it comes to the GA.  The transfer from Dnso to Gnso or whatever left it in the lurch. But one thing is clear -- it is not up to the participants in the GA to keep it running it is up to you.

Off your site;

Under the New ICANN Bylaws:
<http://www.icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-15dec02.htm>

9. Upon the adoption of this Transition Article, and until further action by the ICANN Board, the GNSO Council shall assume responsibility for the DNSO General Assembly e-mail announcement and discussion lists.
The GA mailing list will remain open and the voluntary monitors are:
Thomas Roessler
Alexander Svensson
Ross Rader
Abel Wisman

How to subscribe to mailing lists
Announcement list

Official announcements, only GNSO Secretariat may write to this list.
General Assembly list

Anybody interested in the DNSO issues may subscribe to this list, only subscribers may write to this list
Two main principles since the origin of this server in June 1999, explained in the welcome message sent by majordomo to every new subscriber:

the non cross-posting rule is reinforced
the respect of participants is mandatory
More explicit rules of order defined in <http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2000.GA-ga-rules.html>
More about GA list monitoring in <http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/GA.list-monitoring.html>
Currently, there is a limit of FIVE postings per day on the GA mailing list
To subscribe (or unsubscribe) to the General Assembly list, please send an email to <majordomo at gnso.icann.org> with the words subscribe ga (or unsubscribe ga) in the body of the message.

Avri and all,

  True enough that the NCUC is nothing at all like the GA.  As to
whether that is a "Good" thing of not of course is a matter of
opinion.  The miss characterization of the GA as a "Snake pit"
is hardly honest.  Yes, it has at times been contentious, but where
there are issues that lend themselves to very starkly divided opinions,
often are and should be contentious.

  In any event, the GA at one time had over 900 participants.  Due
to many factors, over a few years that number has dwindled to
what I understand is around 200 or so.  Many have contended that
such a reverse in interest was largely due to a lack of ICON staff
and Board members participation in a open an transparent manner,
AND due to a lack of some being more interested is trying to
enforce on others how to express themselves, ergo lacking free
speech acumen and consideration accordingly.

  So Miltons assertions and Erics remarks in respect to same, are
entirely accurate.  BTW Avri, Eric, Danny, and myself have many
times pointed out directly to you and most of the GNSO council
members exactly which bylaw has been continually violated.  In
any event, you are perfectly able to look that fact and the bylaws
up for yourself I would hope.

Avri Doria wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2009, at 21:33, Eric Dierker wrote:
>
> > The constant monitoring, failure to provide for and downright abuse
> > of participants in the General Assembly of the GNSO in contradiction
> > of their own by-laws is proof of Milton's assertions.
>
> which bylaw are you referring to?
>
> at one point i was very interested in seeing the GA list given more of
> a focus, but the support from the list was never there - it continued
> to act like a snake pit. and it never got itself to the point where it
> could get to a coherent consensus like the IGC can - even though they
> are both civil society efforts open to everyone.
>
> further, to compare the NCUC and it efforts to those of the GA List is
> very insulting to NCUC - they are nothing alike.
>
> a.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
Updated 1/26/04
div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
My Phone: 214-244-4827