[governance] Of Interest: Congestion Management FAQ from Cox

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 30 01:02:20 EST 2009

 > [SNIP]: "It's interesting to see Google stepping up into the role of
a proactive net-neutrality watchdog."

Google as the (overwhelmingly) principal player in the content/
application layer is a great ally to ensure 'openness' in the
infrastructural/ transport layer.... However, we will need other actors
to develop tools that could reverse engineer and unravel the gates and
walls that Google builds in its content/ application layer - how it
priortises and presents search results, how does it separate commercial
from non-commercial information, how it deals  with privacy  in its
customization methods etc etc....

Did I hear Google say revealing some of it will compromise its
commercial interests, and the secrecy or 'non-openness' of such
information constitutes  legitimate commercial secrets.  In that case as
traffic management practices become increasingly more sophisticated
would telecoms at some stage not by the same logic be able to claim
secrecy of these traffic-shaping practices as legitimate commercial
secrets. Would then prying into them considered illegal ??  Yes,
telecoms need to make full disclosure statements, but so do Google. Good
though till we can use Google's muscle for helping the cause of an 'open
Internet'.

Not being cynical here, just the strong parallel with issues we have, or
will soon have, with Google automatically came to my mind.  Also it
makes the point that while it is important to seek out tactical and
strategic alliances, we still may need to look at evolving globally
applicable public policy principles in the area of IG.

 Parminder