[governance] A U.N. grab for Internet control?

jlfullsack jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 7 06:09:10 EST 2009

I partly agree Ian's opinion in the two last paragraphs of his mail. I'd just remind our list members the position of the large majority of the DCs through the whole WSIS  that strongly supported the idea of UN/ITU -or ITU-only- be involved in IG. Unfortunately, actual DCs are not present in the IGF process for obvious reasons. On our list we are "listening to the same tenors" all year long". That's quite fine but not sufficient for me : since I do like music (and a lot of other list members do as well) I want "to listen carefully the whole choir" ! This is far more more interesting ! And really inclusive as we aked for in our WSIS Declarations !

Therefore, in my opinion, CS should advocate in some way the position of absent DCs by considering these options in the debate on IG(F)'s Future.

Of course, in my opinion this IG evolution issue is strongly linked to the (urgent) ITU move towards a really CS-open UN Agency, like e.g. Unesco. And this is another battle to be fought by the CS, as asked for i.a. by Bill Drake.

Let's try to be as consistent as possible in our longer term views, and have in mind both these issues when defining our strategy and proposals for IG evolution, or better said when trying to shape the "post-ICANN" Internet policy.

All the best for you in 2009 !

Jean-Louis Fullsack