[governance] A U.N. grab for Internet control?

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Tue Jan 6 01:57:48 EST 2009

On Tuesday, 6 January 2009 12:04:04 Karl E. Peters wrote:

>     Please do not confuse old with irrelevant! Is this no longer concern to
> you in any way because you already read it? That's a bit perplexing... What
> has happened since to make this a non-issue? I am new to the list and
> simply wondered what participants on an internet governance list thought
> about proposed changes to internet governance. -Karl E. Peters

It is not only "old" in time - the IGF process, which started as a result of
the two UN WSIS summits in 2003 and 2005 has provided a wider field of
discussion, where also the old ideas have been dealt with - including the
statements of the ITU secretary-general at the last ICANN meeting in Cairo -
expressing an ITU perspective, quite different from the broader UN IGF
process.

I assume you are aware that all these things are in flux and cannot be briefly
summed up - as the different opinions and positions are under discussion in
different fora.

Norbert Klein

--
Phnom Penh/Cambodia
PGP key-id 0x0016D0A9

If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit us regularly -
you can find something new every day:

http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com (English)
http://kanhchoksangkum.wordpress.com (Khmer)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org