[governance] A U.N. grab for Internet control?

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Jan 6 00:45:57 EST 2009

Karl, the debate has moved on a little since 2003 and the article you
mention. There remains widespread opposition to the two unilateral roles the
US government continues to hold in the ICANN/IANA space (the JPA and the
root zone authorization roles) - this is opposed by a significant number of
governments, most groups within civil society, and significant groups within
the private sector and technical communities.

However this does not mean necessarily a "UN takeover". China to a degree
restated its position during the Hyderabad meeting, to say "all governments
or no governments". Put another way, this might mean an equal role for all
governments. There is a lot of room to define what that role is (if any) and
how it might be reflected in internet governance structures.

That's a long way from any "UN takeover". I don't think that is on many
agendas now, although some would argue for a stronger ITU role. But I think
it's fair to say that many positions are evolving during the IGF process and
not too many are absolute.

Ian Peter

PO Box 429

Bangalow NSW 2479

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com

  _____