[governance] Requesting Comments for an Internet Governance &

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Fri Aug 7 21:03:27 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Eric Dierker <cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> You are too right about snobbery Roxanna.  Note the current gaggle of
> elitist intellectuals proclaiming "unsubscribe"* on this open list. Note
> they were lead by a Ivy league type heavily marketed lawyer.

I say good riddance to most of them. It's the elitist intellectuals who got
us into this internet governance nonsense in the first place. There is a
place for internet governance in representing the will of the users to the
marketplace and the the politic twits who govern worldwide.

But there are to many elitist intellectuals trying to build bureaucracy ..
like ICANN .. to run a false name space.

Many people here just don't understand the Internet. They have some sort of
fuzzy ideas about it all and think the Internet's the best thing next to the
invention of sliced bread. Or something to that end. In reality the Internet
is very dangerous - http://bit.ly/Rp0fB - it can kill -
http://bit.ly/hcndEanonymously. I'm talking real bullets.

Now I warned you back in 1995 the Internet is a dangerous place. All my
predictions have come true. Yet every day I see members of the human race
become more interdependent on devices attached to a transport medium that is
ripe for mass security violations. Internet warfare and surveillance is the
future norm not the exception.

It's a scary place that needs governance. One message governance has to get
to the governments is that they must make themselves less dependent on the
Internet. The amount of potential economic damage that can be caused by the
Internet at any time by anyone is in my opinion catastrophic. The economic
damage done to date is minor in comparison to the damage one rouge root
operator can wreak.

You can't govern the Internet until you understand that all control is in
the hands of the end users - ultimately - the internet is an anarchy. You
must build a governance model that serves the anarchy. To many of these
elitist intellectuals I find spend more time in argument serving themselves
and completely miss the point.

Now I think this little factum makes the elitist intellectuals nervous
because most become irrelevant in an anarchy. Anarchies are usually build on
common sense.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: www.joebaptista.wordpress.com