[governance] Ziitrain on Facebook

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 30 13:43:58 EDT 2009

http://www.opendemocracy.net/node/47778/pdf

Also a bit scary to hear about 'citizenship of Facebook', then it will
be of Google, and then of second life....

Paradigmatic instance of (obviously controlled) democracy within a
private system, rather than private enterprises within a democratic
system. Our social systems are really changing :)

BTW, could not get the exact implication of what is meant to say that if
30 percent members vote it will be binding on Facebook. It is that if at
one stage 30 percent voted that, say, the Wikipedia Foundation take over
Facebook that will be binding.

Not being cynical, but think such reflections are also important and
necessary as brave new frontiers of 'participation' and 'citizenship'
are explored. . Parminder