[governance] Ziitrain on Facebook

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Apr 30 13:21:52 EDT 2009

Dear Bertrand, do not worry about these comparisons. Lately, the only
comparisons that make me worry or excited are the ones involving C.R.
Flamengo (my soccer team) and any other team. How could they miss so
many goal opportunities last night?!?

On the other hand, it is fascinating how these social networking systems
could go farther. Twitter, for example, could allow the formation, not
of simple groups, but of safe circles of trust, in which each twitting
sequence within the circle could be part or subject of a ranking, voting
or decision-making system. Can you imagine, short dialogues to decide on
things? :)

--c.a.

Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
> Carlos,
>
> Sorry for the comparison with Brazil :-)) Was just to verify Dick Beaird's
> statement. France anyway is far below and not concerned in that numbers
> race.
>
> Of course it is NOT a country ;-)
>
> B.
>
> 2009/4/30 Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br>
>
>> Fine, but let us remind ourselves that it is *not* a country ;)
>>
>> --c.a.
>>

>> Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Wolfgang for pointing us to this article.
>>>
>>> As a matter of fact, the US representative in the recent ITU World Telecom
>>> Policy Forum in Lisbon has used himself the analogy that Jonathan raises
>>> by
>>> saying explicitly : "if Facebook were a country, it would be the fifth
>>> largest". If Facebook is really 200 million registered users, it has
>>> indeed
>>> passed Brazil in the list of countries ranked by population. (see :
>>> http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/idbrank.pl)
>>>
>>> Jonathan's points make sense and I have raised them in the IGF, in
>>> particular in Hyderabad, to highlight the fact that such companies "terms
>>> of
>>> service" are not traditional terms of service but become the law of the
>>> space for most users.
>>>
>>> The two questions that this brings are :
>>> - *What is the governance of such social networks* : the processes by
>>> which
>>> such terms of service are "elaborated and applied" (cf. the definition of
>>> Internet Governance), as they represent "principles, norms,
>>> decision-making
>>> procedures and programs" - and in this respect, Facebook is clearly taking
>>> unprecedented initiatives
>>> - *What relation with the web of national laws* : the articulation between
>>> those "company governance regimes" and the various national laws and legal
>>> jurisdictions that should apply.
>>>
>>> The Internet has evolved form the physical IP-based network used mostly
>>> for
>>> email and file transfer into the http/html-based World Wide Web used to
>>> access information. It is clearly reaching a third stage with social
>>> networking applications, creating a sort of SocioNet, that is looking for
>>> its appropriate governance protocols.
>>>
>>> This is the reason why, on behalf of the Dynamic Coalition on Internet
>>> Rights and Principles, I have suggested a workshop theme for the next IGF,
>>> under the title : "The Governance of Social Media", precisely to address
>>> this type of issues. I hope it will be retained.
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Bertrand
>>>

>>> 2009/4/29 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
>>> wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>
>>>
>>>  http://www.opendemocracy.net/node/47778/pdf

Carlos A. Afonso
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
www.rits.org.br                  www.rets.org.br
www.nupef.org.br             www.politics.org.br
www.ritsnet.org.br

     governance at lists.cpsr.org