AW: [governance] hearing on Internet Governance arrangements

jlfullsack jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Thu Apr 30 12:22:14 EDT 2009

Dear all

A far as I understand there was no formal invitation to the CS involved in
IG or generally in Internet issues for participating in this "hearing". If
I'm right this is a first point to raise.

Second, as for the preceding ITRE Hearing, the announcement (to whom ?) was
made just one week before the meeting.

Third, all these "hearings" don't replace an actual European IGF, promised
to the EU citizens in January last year, because of their obvious lack of
the most basic multistakeholder principles and of a minimum of respect to
the CS, i.a. through an invitation in due form and period of time.
Therefore, the urgent setting-up of an actual Euro-IGF is the third point
that should be strongly raised by (one of) our WSIS CS member(s).

These CS concerns should be forcefully stressed especially a couple of weeks
before the EP poll,  which  -as nobody ignores- will be a popular flop in
likely all of the 27 member countries. The way the European top
constituencies are treating European citizens through their CS organizations
(e.g. see above) isn't the adequate incentive to reverse this regretable
trend ! They probably prefer their 12 000 or so "accredited" lobbyists whose
offices surround the Brussels EU buildings and who are far more discrete.
Who is still talking about transparency ?

Thus, please, these citizens' concerns should be expressed by our CS
participant with the same conviction as the IG or Internet related issues.
If they fail in this way, these CS members may be "experts" or other likes,
but they cannot claim they are part of, and represent the WSIS involved CS
in such an event.

All the best
Jean-Louis Fullsack