[governance] What would this mean for the Internet Governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 00:37:05 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Bertrand de La Chapelle <
bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Miltion, for posting this.
>
> It is important, to make a fair evaluation of this proposal, to discuss the
> actual text : in particular, the reference to foreign pressure is less
> general than previous comments seemed to imply and the text confirms that
> this concerns the IANA contract only. Does not belittle the importance of
> this proposal, but it's important to get the intention clear.

Correct, but the folk who wrote it suffer from the misconception that:

a) ICANN "manages and administers" the DNS (they don't actually, they just
administer one very small, unique bit of it. and

b)  the DNS is "the heart of the Internet", (it's not, routers announcing IP
addresses via ASNs are the "heart".

Much more interesting to me is their "political" view in the next section:

"This section requires the Assistant Secretary of Commerce for
Communications and Information to develop a strategy to implement
a secure domain name addressing system.
Analysis—There has been widespread disagreement as to how we
should implement DNSSEC, a secure version of the domain name
system. This is presumably something that ICANN should lead on,
but since the organization has failed in this regard, it would be
appropriate for the federal government to step in and improve the
security of the Internet."

More fodder for a blog post by Brendan methinks.

--
Cheers,

McTim