[governance] Interesting News: Linkedin denies service for countries under US trade sanctions

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:48:15 EDT 2009

Hi All, I picked this news item up from a US based Arab oriented
service called Meedan.net but some members on the governance list
might want to dig a bit deeper into this issue of Internet
Authoritarianism:
http://beta.meedan.net/index.php?page=events&post_id=274105

Linkedin denies service for countries under US trade sanctions

Linkedin, the business social networking service, blocked out all
users from countries under US sanctions claiming that their services
are subject to export and re-export control laws and regulations. This
includes the sanctions programs maintained by the Treasury
Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. According to an email
from the company’s customer service, linkedin states: “We do not allow
member accounts or access to our site from Cuba, Iran, North Korea,
Sudan, or Syria.”

An issue that emerges from the above news is that are the people under
a governance system not accepted by an influential country that has a
major stake in the Internet infrastructure allowed to use that
technology to come out of their grave state of affairs enabled by the
Internet?

--

Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org