[governance] Workshop Proposal - Towards a zero carbon Internet

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Apr 15 15:55:00 EDT 2009

Bill, I was thinking more along the lines that probably well over 90% of the
worlds connected computers are in large installations run by governments and
corporations, and these may be responsible for about 10% of global carbon
emissions. There is much that can be done if these groups co-operate in new
ways. Also there were workshops which I found very disappointing on this in
Hyderabad.

But yes the governance issue is a little hard to find at this stage and I
would certainly not like to see this as a main theme. However I think there
is room for a few regional co-operative approaches, there are a few national
legislation approaches, and definitely internet architecture approaches that
should be examined  here or elsewhere. I think these are aspects of
governance in a loose sense. (and lets face it much internet "governance" is
very loose)

But right now with just a few days to go this does not appear to be
something IGC is enthusisatic to support, and I am happy t acept that. Iwill
give some thought to whether I submit this as an individual or not.

Ian Peter

PO Box 429

Bangalow NSW 2479

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com

  _____