[governance] NN Workshop Thread

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 7 12:28:16 EDT 2009

There has been an interesting development in the Network Neutrality (NN)
arena in Norway which is perhaps important to discuss here, and is
certainly important in terms of  the proposed workshop by IGC on NN.

As pointed out in the IGP's posting here, a wide range of stakeholders
in Norway have agreed to a set of principles of Network Neutrality. A
very good example that , unlike what many opined on this list, it is
possible to agree  to  a workable  set of NN principles. See
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/02/norway-gets-voluntary-net-neutrality.ars
<cid:part1.02010000.00090007 at itforchange.net>. Also  see the  actual
set of NN principles,  a link to which is given  in this news item.

Since Internet is principally a global network, it should be obvious
that we should also explore the possibility of a global consensus on NN
principles.... It certainly looks possible if private sector, civil
society  and public sector actors can agree to one set in Norway.

Accordingly, it will be better if we call our proposed workshop a bit
more positively as 'Network Neutrality - Exploring a global consensus'.
Who knows this issue could mature to become the subject of a round table
in IGF-5, something which we should aim at.

Parminder