[governance] NN Workshop Thread

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Apr 8 10:02:10 EDT 2009

Perhaps relevant. Japan introduced a set of 3
network neutrality principles in November 2007,
they were introduced as an amendment to the "New
Competition Policy Program 2010" and are official
policy:

*IP networks should be accessible to users and
easy to use, allowing ready access to content and
application layers

* IP based networks should be accessible and
available to any terminal that meets relevant
technical standards and should support
terminal-to-terminal (or "end-to-end")
communication

*Users should be provided with equality of access
to telecommunications and platform layers at a
reasonable price

("users" refers to end users and content
providers and other companies conducting business
using IP networks)

Network neutrality also includes the concept of
utilizing IP networks with the proper allocation
of costs, and without discrimination.

There's a report of a ministry working group on
network neutrality online
<http://www.soumu.go.jp/joho_tsusin/eng/pdf/070900_1.pdf>
(translated by Izumi's organization.)

The study group that developed the network
neutrality principles also recommended a working
group should look packet shaping. May 2008 a
group of telecom business associations (ministry
as an observer) came up with a set of guidelines
which basically say:

Based on the underlying principle that ISPs
should increase network capacity in line with
increases in network traffic, i.e. packet shaping
should only be allowed in exceptional situations.

When implemented, packet shaping should be
justified by objective criteria such as QoS of
general users being degraded by traffic from
other applications, e.g. P2P.

Secrecy of communications should be maintained in
accordance with the Telecom business law (i.e.
deep packet inspection is unlikely).

Users should be informed about their ISP's packet
shaping policy in their contract terms and
conditions.

ISPs will also required to provide relevant
information to content providers and other ISPs
about any shaping.

Arbitrary use of packet shaping must be avoided.

<http://www.jaipa.or.jp/other/bandwidth/guidelines_e.pdf>

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org