[governance] Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Copyright Cops

ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 20:32:39 EDT 2008

Dear Jeffrey,

Thanks for this early heads-up.

We should scamper over on the link and look for standards of putative
evidence triggering whatever takeovers of computers are contemplated.
Among other issues of course.

Best wishes, Linda M F.

On 9/12/08, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> All,
>
>   Regarding rights, ( This one really bothers me ) see:
>
> "The Senate Judiciary Committee has
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080911-committee-amends-approves-enormous-gift-to-big-content.html
>
> approved the EIPA (the Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights
> Act of 2008), which would create copyright cops. And these cops would
> take over the RIAA's War on Sharing by filing civil lawsuits and using
> civil forfeiture laws to take any and all computers engaged in
> infringement. Worse, they would even seize computers (such as
> servers or database farms) that house the data of innocent people, and
> these people would not have any right to get their data back. At best
> the 'virtual bystanders' who happened to have data on a computer used
> for infringement could get a protective order saying that no one should
> go
> rummaging through their stuff. Perhaps the only good thing in the bill
> is that they've excluded DMCA circumvention from the list of grounds for
>
> seizure. So while the Senators believe this is needed to combat foreign
> copyright infringement cartels, it's entirely likely that innocent
> people will be harmed by this law."
>
> My notes:  Seems to me that sense the RIAA and the MPAA have
> been loosing cases all of the country, as have their counterparts in
> other countries, this legislation was borne from lobbying of those
> IP organizations and their members for extraordinary Rights, in that
> they cannot or will not protect their own IP rights in accordance
> with current law and available technology.
>
> Comments, thoughts, suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
> "Obedience of the law is the greatest freedom" -
>    Abraham Lincoln
>
> "Credit should go with the performance of duty and not with what is
> very often the accident of glory" - Theodore Roosevelt
>
> "If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
> liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
> P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
> United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
> Updated 1/26/04
> CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security IDNS.
> div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
> ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail
> jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
> My Phone: 214-244-4827

Individual Email.
For further I.D. (ref./only)
Communications Coordination Committee for the U.N.
CONGO Education Committee
Annual U.N. DPI NGO Conference Planning Committee & Sub-Committes.
Other Affiliations on Request.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org