[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 11 08:02:21 EDT 2008

Milton and all,

  Milton makes a very good point here, IMO.  In fact, in some
countires every day citizens DO NOT have a "Right" to access
to the Internet, and those that do in those countries, may have
only a very limited level of access.  National laws or policy,
can be routed around true enough, but at some risk to those
users that choose to do so.  So as Milton rightly points out,
the ussage of the Internet freely is to a great degree a matter
of National law and policy.  Even in the US, denial of use
of the Internet can and has been denied some by court order
in some particular circumstances. And as such, some US
states, have taken those rulings and applied them to new
State laws, which are often times politically motivated.

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> What? So we DO have a “right to Internet” but we DON’T have a right to
> use it freely across national boundaries? This is why I voted no on
> the statement, and frankly Ian I think you should be embarrassed at
> rejecting this suggestion. This statement says little more than
> Article 19, but it’s “controversial.” ???
>
> 1.
>
> 2.Different nations across the globe have differing concepts of
> freedom. Despite occasional attempts at restraint, the Internet has
> emerged as a medium for freedom of speech even in geographical regions
> where freedom of expression is restrained. The Internet is a medium to
> connect people across national boundaries and this is possible only as
> a free and unregulated medium.
>
> Controversial

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com