[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Sep 12 05:12:54 EDT 2008

What? So we DO have a "right to Internet" but we DON'T have a right to
use it freely across national boundaries? This is why I voted no on the
statement, and frankly Ian I think you should be embarrassed at
rejecting this suggestion. This statement says little more than Article
19, but it's "controversial." ???

1.

2.      Different nations across the globe have differing concepts of
freedom. Despite occasional attempts at restraint, the Internet has
emerged as a medium for freedom of speech even in geographical regions
where freedom of expression is restrained. The Internet is a medium to
connect people across national boundaries and this is possible only as a
free and unregulated medium.

Controversial