[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Sep 8 12:32:20 EDT 2008

Robin,

'Collective rights' is obviously an analytical category and not a right as
such. So when I speak of collective rights I am clearly meaning specific
rights like rights of indigenous people, linguistic rights, cultural rights,
minority rights, right to development etc.

To say that one doesn't believe in collective rights one must be able to say
that one doesn't believe in the above rights. That's a simple and direct
derivation. Are you saying so?

One cannot say, no, I 'do' believe in all or some of the rights listed above
but not in collective rights as a category.

Negative, positive and collective rights are categories of representation
and analysis, and in fact help to underscore that different sets of rights
may need different justifications and analysis (something which Tapani asked
to be clarified).

In fact I am fine if one is ready to accept a long list of all these rights,
and not mention the terms negative, positive and collective rights. That
merely would mean one thinks all these rights, along with those that may be
considered negative and positive rights are in the same category, and need
not be differentiated. I could in fact be happier with such a position.

I quote what the IGC statement of July 19, 2005 to the WSIS process said
about rights.

"Among priority public policy issues are.."... Addressing human rights as a
cross-cutting principle in relation to evolution and use of the Internet.
Nothing in Internet governance negotiations must impair, restrict, or
contradict universally agreed human rights."

Most of the rights I mention above are universally agreed human rights. Many
positive rights and collective rights are certainly among what would
constitute as the category of universally agreed human rights as meant in
the above statement.

So while IGC at one time insisted that 'Nothing in Internet governance
negotiations must impair, restrict, or contradict universally agreed human
rights', and now if it issues a statement that 'impair, restrict, or
contradict universally agreed human rights' I for one, as an IGC member,
would certainly not want to be a party to it.

Parminder

  _____