[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Mon Sep 8 13:11:02 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 10:02:20PM +0530, Parminder (parminder at itforchange.net) wrote:

> 'Collective rights' is obviously an analytical category and not a right as
> such. So when I speak of collective rights I am clearly meaning specific
> rights like rights of indigenous people, linguistic rights, cultural rights,
> minority rights, right to development etc.

> To say that one doesn't believe in collective rights one must be able to say
> that one doesn't believe in the above rights.

It does not follow if one does not agree that those rights are collective.

I suspect one or maybe the key problem here is that the term indeed
carries different meanings, and people want to reject some of them.

In particular, probably few (?) people would oppose collective
rights as justification of individual rights - rights individuals
would have because of their membership in a group.
The opposition stems from the other meaning, where collective
rights would justify depriving individuals of their rights.

> In fact I am fine if one is ready to accept a long list of all these rights,
> and not mention the terms negative, positive and collective rights. That
> merely would mean one thinks all these rights, along with those that may be
> considered negative and positive rights are in the same category, and need
> not be differentiated. I could in fact be happier with such a position.

That might be a useful approach.

--
Tapani Tarvainen
     governance at lists.cpsr.org