rights again Re: [governance] Inputs ...

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Wed Sep 3 09:28:53 EDT 2008

Avri Doria wrote:
> <discussion on rights and not the content of the paper
>   - which i will state no opinion on due to possible conflicts of
>     interest as a consultant for the IGF secretariat>
>

> On 3 Sep 2008, at 13:07, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
>
>> A narrow interpretation restricts rights to those that enable rights
>> holders to file a suit against those who violate the right. I don't
>> see who could be held accountable for the lack of "an Internet in ones
>> own language". The latter might be a political goal but it certainly
>> doesn't sound like a right to me.
>

> While i agree that we have to be careful with devaluation of rights by
> making the definition too broad, this would argue that there are no
> rights without authority - the prerequisite  of 'someone to be held
> accountable' that is being offered in several people definitions.

There is of course the concept of natural rights which precede legal
rights.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rights

My understanding is that such natural rights are even narrower than
constitutional rights but, again, I am not an expert.

As an aside, natural rights played a major role in the design of the
continental version of intellectual property rights. Such a natural
right of the author to his work doesn't exist in the american copyright
law. So, it seems even natural rights need to be (legally) secured to
keep their relevance.

Regarding the relationship between rights and authority I think, yes,
authority plays a major role on two dimensions. The one dimension would
be protection against authority while the other would be securing rights
by an authority. This all depends on one's understanding of the concept
of right in the first place.
jeanette

     governance at lists.cpsr.org