[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Sep 3 00:00:06 EDT 2008

>> > Conceptions of 'rights and the Internet' extend to the area of
>> > positive
>> > rights - for instance in the area of access, where a 'right to the
>> > Internet' is being articulated by some groups, and to collective rights
>> > like cultural rights, including the right to have an Internet in ones
>> > own language, which can underpin the
> > important IGF thematic area of cultural diversity.

I oppose this language. As I have made clear, I don't think there is such a thing as a collective right, or a positive right that is meaningful in this context, and have no idea what is meant by "cultural rights" -- except that people have spent centuries violating all kinds of rights -- expression, association, life -- in an attempt to protect collectivities or cultures.

I see that Parminder has chosen to ignore extensive evidence of contention around this issue on the list, and apparently thinks he can put his own views into our mouths. As always, we can engage with these disagreements honestly, or dishonestly; i.e., we can recognize in the statement differences of views about what rights are and how they are defined, or we one faction that is temporarily dominant and holding the pen.