[governance] Inputs for synthesis paper

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 1 06:45:54 EDT 2008

Parminder and all,

"A complex new emerging ecology of rights and the internet", should
read "A complex new emerging ecology of rights OF the internet"

  Otherwise, so far so good, but seemingly a bit too lengthy for my
taste, yet accurate and explanitory.

Parminder wrote:

> Hanane
>
> > If you agree we can adjust the following paragraph ( the last two
> > sentences).
>
> I have included the changes suggested by you in the document on google docs.
> Thanks. Parminder
>
> The current form of the doc is as below ......
>
> IGC's input -1 to the synthesis paper for IGF, Hyderabad.
>
> 'Rights and the Internet' as the over-arching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt
>
> The Internet Governance Caucus strongly recommends that 'Rights and the
> Internet' be made the overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt, and that the
> IGF-4's program be framed by the desire for developing a rights-based
> discourse in the area of Internet Governance. The Caucus has already
> expressed support for the letter on this subject which was sent to the MAG
> by the Dynamic Coalition on an Internet Bill of Rights.
>
> The IGC offers the IGF assistance in helping to shape such a discourse at
> the IGF meetings, and specifically to help make 'Rights and the Internet' an
> overarching theme for IGF-4 in Egypt.
>
> A complex new emerging ecology of rights and the internet
>
> Freedom of expression and openness of the internet are underpinned by
> recognized basic human rights. Privacy in the digital space is increasingly
> understood as a very important internet right. Conceptions of rights and the
> internet also extend to the area of positive rights - for instance in the
> area of access, where a possible right to the internet is being articulated
> by some, and to collective rights such as those of cultural expression -
> including the right to have an Internet in ones own language, which can
> inform the important IGF thematic area of cultural diversity.
>
> Many important internet policy areas, like network neutrality, are being
> framed in terms of rights, such as a right to know, access to information
> and the right to share information, including perhaps freedom of expression
> itself. The right to public information presents itself in a wholly new
> manner in a digital environment, where digitized information is publicly
> sharable at little or no extra cost. Positive acts of withholding digital
> public information from citizens in fact can be looked upon as a form of
> censorship. All of these rights-based conceptions may be included in the IGF
> openness theme area.
>
> Many other rights such as the right of association and the right to
> political participation may have important new implications in the internet
> age, including the shaping of internet policies that best serve public
> interests in these areas.
>
> It is a widely held fear that while the internet gives unprecedented new
> economic, social and political opportunities in many new areas, it may
> further widen economic, social and political divides. It is for this reason
> that development has been a central theme for the IGF meetings to date. In
> this context, it might be useful to explore what the term "right to
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com