CSU ITU interface / Re: [governance] IGC meeting at the IGF

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Fri Dec 5 05:22:32 EST 2008

Dear Jean-Louis
> I am not very enthousiastic about the idea of grouping the CS orgs
> that volunteer to WORK with the ITU (and not only for being a paying
> or fee free "member" of any kind). The "coalition" Francis suggests
> could be too heterogenous and waste too much time in "tuning their
> violines".
If yiu had paid a closer look into the proposal, the association would
merely act as a formal channel,
to convey members' opinion.  No need of a consensus on any content.
As for procedural issues, the association may only post a position only
when there is a consensus.
In matter of procedural issues, whenever it is a matter of reinforcing
CS participation, the
WSIS experience shows that a consensus may be easily reached.

Therefore no time wasted in internal matters, just a vehicle for a
diversity of expressions.

> And as a CS volunteer I'm fully opposed to pay any fee of any kind !
What Wolfgang had said

/My conclusions from discussion with ITU people is that there is also an option to join without any costs/fee if we can proof that the group is non-commercial. This is what Toure said in Cairo./

Touré told exactly the same thing  to a few friends and me, yesterday
evening.
He told us that he passed some fee waivers for a few NGOs before the council
without a glitch.  Who are these NGOs ?  I do not know.
For me this something kind of new, because with Utsumi
to waive fees was not an option.
More recently,   when I made some inquiries to regular ITU staff,
all stakeholders have to pay.. So this appears to be a positive
development...

Concering the acronym CWSISCS
or

/WSIS concerned Civil Society Conference.  (WSIS-CISOCON)/

to have WSIS separated out, is good idea
since the acronym CISOCON rings funny in French
lets try :
WSIS-CSC

All the best

Francis

> We have our expertise, our know-how, our experience in networking
> and/or Internet use and rules. This is a point that should be assessed
> for all CS candidates for an ITU membership of any kind. And these are
> as many treasures that are basis for discussing with the ITU, through
> the Council Working group or through any other ITU contact structure.
> This is particularly valuable when we consider the financial situation
> (rather a crisis) that the ITU is facing since some years due to low
> membership fees particularly those of its 700 or so private sector
> members.
> But once again the CS orgs or individuals interested in a profound
> move of the ITU towards openness and CS inclusion have to agree on
> some basic ideas and proposals before any formal discussion with ITU
> people.
> I'd also mention that there is something in the pipe at the European
> level. We Europeans have to push forwards this highly necessary
> initiative and therefore be careful to prevent it from being buried or
> put in the background.
> BTW Wolfgang : what is this new acronym ? Is it an acoustic ad or has
> it some meaning ?
> All the best
> Jean-Louis Fullsack
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
> <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>
> To: <governance at lists.cpsr.org>; "Dr. Francis MUGUET"
> <muguet at mdpi.net>; <governance at lists.cpsr.org>

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

ENSTA/KNIS  http://knis.org
32 Blvd Victor 75739 PARIS cedex FRANCE
Phone: (33)1 45 52 60 19  Fax: (33)1 45 52 52 82
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet

PC4D : http://www.pc4d.org

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web