[governance] Substantive issues in CIR: speakers for IGF

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Sep 11 00:33:45 EDT 2007

As suggested in my last post, it makes little sense to discuss speakers without a clear idea of what is to be spoken about.
Here's a quick taxonomy of cIr issues:

A. Virtual resource economics
  A1. IPv4 address exhaustion: appropriate responses
  A2. IPv6 address allocation policies and their impact on ISP industry, competition, industry development and routing
  A3. Regulations and policies applied to the domain name industry
  A4. Multilingual domains

B. Governance structures
  B1. ICANN as institution, its political oversight and reforms/changes in its structure
  B2. Problem of trust anchor (signing the root) in DNSSEC
  B3. Role of national governments cIr governance; i.e., GAC, the Tunis Agenda "public policy principles"

C. Human Rights and cIr
  C1. DNS Whois and privacy
  C2. Freedom of expression and ICANN's new gTLD policy

D. Security and cIr
  D1. DNSSEC implementation
  D2. Secure routing

Now this list can no doubt be improved and/or expanded but it's a start.

I note that topics A1, B2, B3, C2, and D1 are all addressed in workshops. As Bertrand suggests, a plenary session that chooses to address any of these issues should draw to some extent from workshop speakers.