[governance] Substantive issues in CIR: speakers for IGF

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Sep 11 04:18:28 EDT 2007

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> As suggested in my last post, it makes little sense to discuss speakers
> without a clear idea of what is to be spoken about.
> Here's a quick taxonomy of cIr issues:

I'd add end-to-end principle in the sense that the internet, if it to
really support edge driven deployment of applications, needs to have
some means to assure (not guarantee) to users that they can obtain
(perhaps involving the transfer of some money and the availability of
adequate resources) the end-to-end service quality needed to support
whatever application they want to deploy.

(I have trouble expressing this thought with clarity.  I do not believe
that the net has infinite resources or that applications that require
fast, low jitter, or fat pipes ought to get a free ride at the expense
of others.  The picture in my head is of someone, let's say a national
government of a "southern" nation, who wants to deploy a service, such
as international VoIP, and is willing to pay for adequate service to the
"northern" countries.  The governance issue is how that request can be
made and how providers can interact to accommodate it.)

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org