[governance] Substantive issues in CIR: speakers for IGF

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Sep 11 08:15:05 EDT 2007

Milton,

I left the advisory group meeting a day early,
but when I left it was unanimous (unanimous to
the extent that it was supported by everyone who
spoke on the issue and no one spoke against) in
adopting the proposal you see in the meeting
report:

"Starting point for the discussion is the
definition contained in the WGIG report (Para 13
a):

'Issues relating to infrastructure and the
management of critical Internet resources,
including administration of the domain name
system and Internet protocol addresses (IP
addresses), administration of the root server
system, technical standards, peering and
interconnection, telecommunications
infrastructure, including innovative and
convergent technologies, as well as
multilingualization.'

The session will use a baseline approach, taking
into account WSIS principles. The purpose of the
discussion is to bring out information and
opinion.

There will be a balanced panel of five to seven
experts, including the major players, reflecting
a range of views "  (end quote)

The advisory group operates under the Chatham
House Rule so I cannot identify the member that
proposed this formulation, however, China's
contribution to the open consultation on Sept 3
supports using para 13a as the base definition
for the session. The AG attempted to reflect
consensus as it heard it in contributions.  I
personally favor your proposal below (except C1
and C2 which I think irrelevant right now to IGF,
but that's just me), but I think there is strong
consensus for this broader approach and that is
the one we should work to now. Of course that
doesn't mean speakers cannot focus on the issues
they want to focus on, or contributions and
questions from the floor are limited in anyway.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org