[governance] Milton and the $ 175,000

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 15 11:50:37 EDT 2007

>And I just pointed out to the facts, which you don't like. They are not bad
facts, they are just facts.

Veni, I like you spirit of inquiry. But please also see our desire to
discuss ICANN at the IGF in the same light.I am simply unable to understand
why some people here are bent on seeing our right to seek a discussion on an
important global governance body at IGF as a declaration of hostility
against that organization. When one is in public life one has to submit to
the public's probing. All governments, even the best ones, do.. And there is
always a healthy tension between those who hold representative power (ICANN
does as a global governance body) and its constituencies. It is not unique
to ICANN.

We are as keen to discuss WTO, WIPO, ITU, UNDP etc (my group discusses all
of them a lot).. and, to make what I do a part of it, I will be very keen to
participate in a process that seeks greater accountability and transparency
of NGOs and sets standards for it (I think such a process is badly needed if
we are to establish greater credibility) ... So, can you explain to me why
ICANN, or people speaking for it, are making so much of a simple request to
have  a main session discuss ICANN.. I understand, the response here will
be, ICANN isnt important enough for a main session, there are other issues..
Frankly, I find this argument so specious that is isnt worth refuting it. I
know people who have earlier held that development etc are not really IG
issues now wanting that issue discussed as more important than ICANN.
Doesn't such a big constituency which often discuses ICANN (including this
group, whose such proclivity was rightly identified by Kieren) even have a
right to put it on the main agenda.. And were all groups and constituents at
WSIS with its strong ICANN undercurrents in IG discussions plainly stupid
people (even, as some may say, if it was mainly about ITU / UN trying to
take over ICANN, it still attests to the importance of the ICANN issue)

And even if someone really thinks ICANN isn't important enough, why would
some invest so much energy into refutation. That's beyond me. I think there
is  a stronger politics working behind this, which may (even) be legitimate,
but which, in case it is legitimate, should identify itself and its logic
and motivations clearly. That would be worth discussing..

So, lets leave this confrontation behind, and agree to work together to
improve our governance systems. Let ICANN have a lot of time (of a main
session) to present its point of view, and others have the time they are
asking for to discuss ICANN as well.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore