[governance] "Internet users" Summitsummit of the ICANN At-Large community from 22 to 27 June 2008 in Paris

Dina Hov dina_hov2007 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 15:09:23 EST 2007

      Quick jump:  What's new - Weblogs

                        Comment

   Print
   Tools
      Email To This Workspace
      Email To This Page
      Export as HTML
      Export to PDF
      Export to Word

          6         Tags
 {"maxCount":45,"tags":[{"page_count":"45","count":null,"name":"Email"},{"page_count":"18","count":null,"name":"Welcome"},{"page_count":"7","count":null,"name":"alac"},{"page_count":"5","count":null,"name":"Lisboa"},{"page_count":"5","count":null,"name":"sanjuan"},{"page_count":"4","count":null,"name":"San Juan"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"NCUC"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"registry"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"1S"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"hostname"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"IDNA"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"unicode"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"fun stuff"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"ldh"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"great"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"punycode"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"U-label"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"character"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"UTC"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"domain
 names"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"A-label"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"internationalized"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"idn"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"important"},{"page_count":"2","count":null,"name":"ascii"},{"page_count":"1","count":null,"name":"Help"},{"page_count":"1","count":null,"name":"11 September 2007"},{"page_count":"1","count":null,"name":"ICANN meeting"},{"page_count":"1","count":null,"name":"resolution"}]}   There are no tags for this page.

    Incoming Links

    Attachments

   BudgetV1_SBT.xls

    At Large Advisory Committee
  motion on the Summit Proposal
    BudgetV1_SBT.xls

  Motion to
1) Agree to all look at the Summit proposal by 2 weeks from today - November 14th
2) Make any changes online
3) Put it up for approval at the December teleconference Dec 11th
  The following texte was send to the Alac mailing liste the 1st of November 2007.
  "ICANN Ensemble"  A global summit of the ICANN At-Large community  1.Venue  It is currently proposed to run “ICANN Ensemble” as part of the ICANN general meeting, scheduled from 22 to 27 June 2008 in Paris.
The event may be started one day early, on June 21 2008.
  2.The rationalNow that the interim work by ALAC and ALSsto create formal RALOs is complete, the next step is to ensure that ICANN's At-Large community has the knowledge and tools necessary to perform its role of providing advice on policy and other matters. While each RALO is progressing at its own pace and has its own unique issues and viewpoints, there is much to be gained by their sharing of experience and expertise.  Because ultimately At-Large has a single co-ordination and aggregation of outcomes mechanism, the ICANN Board Advisory body (ALAC) and a single representative to the ICANN Board, it must be seen as one single constituency.
A Summit will help the organisation of education, circulation of good practices, exchange of experience and discussion on policy matters.
  The proposed At-Large Summit will help to give the community a more-global perspective on ICANN issues.
The first opportunity is during the next European meeting in June 2008.
If successful, useful and productive, Summit organizers will advance a plan and timetable to hold the Summit as a regular, (with a repeat rate to be determined e.g. biennial or triennial event.
  3.Vision  The Summit's intent to
3.1.Help the At-Large structures to better understand At-Large mandates, structures, processes.
3.2.Provide the tools needed by At-Large leadership to involve and engage their members.
3.3.Drive the development of timely policy study and recommendations reflecting the At-Large point of view on both global and regional levels.
3.4.Encourage the exchange of ideas, experiences and energy within ICANN's At-Large community.
  4.Objectives  4.1.An informed At-Large community that is better able to interact with other ICANN constituencies, supporting organisations and advisory committees.
4.2.An informed At-Large community that clearly understands the issues confronting ICANN and ICANN's roles and responsibilities therein.
4.3.Increased involvement by At-Large in ICANN policy debate.
4.4.An At-Large community that more clearly understands the global, rather than merely regional, point of view on ICANN-related issues.
4.5.A more engaged At-Large community that clearly understands the timing and framework of various issues currently confronting ICANN
  5.Deliverables  5.1.Resolutions based on policy development. Any resolutions which are not agreed to at the Final Plenary or require more regional consultation should be accompanied by hard deadlines for passage.
5.2.Establishment of working groups related to specific policies with explicit goals and timetables for production of papers or resolutions.
5.3.ALS leadership who are fully aware of ICANN, its workings and its issues, who are ready and able to bring this information to their members.
5.4.Improved contacts and relationships between ICANN ALSs, within and between regions, and between At-Large and other ICANN constituencies.
5.5.Work on a “Individual Internet Users” declaration.
  6.Tentative agenda of the Summit  6.1.1st day (21st of June 2008) morning
Educate ALSs about ICANN and ICANN group functions, methods and culture
6.2.1st day (21st of June 2008) afternoon
5 RALOs General Assembly in parallel (internal matters)
6.3.2nd day (22nd of June 2008) morning
Workshops on policies topics (new gTLDs – Whois – IDNs -
)
6.4.2nd day (22nd of June 2008) afternoon
Parallel meetings of Alac working groups with the participation of all interested ALSs
6.5.3rd day (23rd of June 2008) morning
At-Large General assembly with feedback of 1st day afternoon sessions and 2nd day morning sessions
  7.Outline  The Summit will include a number of components
7.1.Orientation events to welcome delegates with a multi-faceted understanding of ICANN's history, processes, constituencies and mandate. Special attention will outline the role and rights of the At-Large community, and how it can best advance its positions.
7.2.Seminars and panel sessions providing background on the issues facing ICANN, specifically from the point of view of consumers, clients and end-users of Internet-based information and services.
7.3.Regional "breakout" round-table meetings, at which each region's delegates debate issues in the contexts of their local environment, as well as address other issues which may benefit from in-person discussions.
7.4.Interactive policy workshops help delegates’ best express the public interest within the ICANN processes. Delegates will analyze issues and develop policy in a manner designed to engage their RALOs and constituencies.(It is understood that most policy initiatives will result in initiatives that will require delegates to consult with their constituencies.)
7.5.Resources and events designed to encourage social interaction between regions, ALSs and ALAC.
7.6.A final plenary that will explicitly outline milestones accomplished and outstanding deliverables, while soliciting comments and recommendations on how At-Large can better fulfil its mandate.
  8.Budget Implications  During the budget year 2006/2007 ICANN organized 3 meetings:
Sao Paulo – LACRalo meeting
Lisbon – AfRalo and EuRalo meetings
San Juan – LACRalo and NARalo meetings
During the budget year 2007/2008 ICANN will organize 3 meetings:
Los Angeles – No Ralo meeting
Asia Pacific – APRalo meeting
Europe – AfRalo, APRalo, EuRalo, LACRalo, and NARalo meetings
We would like to have one person from each ALSs coming to the Summit and taking care by ICANN. We will establish participation criteria to ensure that the Summit participants will be engaged and committed to Summit goals.
Beyond travel we will require appropriate room rentals and the capacity to hold one evening social event.
Proposed Summit Budget estimates:-
Need some estimates here.
  9.Notes  •Sessions will be held concurrently with the regular ICANN meetings, and will be designed to not conflict with scheduled ICANN slots intended for attendance by all constituencies.
•Summit organizers -- with the assistance of ALAC, RALO chairs and ICANN staff -- will distribute in advance to ALSs information related to ICANN issues requiring attention. Each ALS is expected to discuss the policy issues sufficiently so that its delegates to the Summit can participate and vote on group resolutions.
•Emphasis will be on the development of deep policy-analysis as well as expedient Summit-derived resolutions.
•Meetings will be designed to allow for maximum interactive participation; when possible a "round table" meeting room layout will be preferred over the traditional "classroom" layout.
•A "Summit Secretariat", comprising people selected from within the various RALO secretariats, will help record the proceedings.
•Summit will be chair by the ALAC chairperson and session chairs will be rotated amongst ALAC members and RALO chairs.
•Delegates are expected to be full participants and not just attendees. Those who are absent from more than 50% of meetings will not be subsidized for future ICANN events.
•All points of view will be welcomed; however, it is stressed that the Summit is intended to be a positive, progressive event and delegates are expected to participate in that spirit. Advocacy outside the scope of ICANN or intended as simply negative or obstructionist will not be welcomed.

---------------------------------
    VS - considering the amount of resources needed ( translations, rooms etc are as big as transportation in an event) and no planning was made to include this in our current budget, we may consider to include the summit in our plan starting year jul08 and organize it to the annual meeting - in Africa. I will talk with finance area at ICANN and try to get some feedback for our december call. any news I will post here.
  contributed by Guest User on Nov 19 7:59am

---------------------------------
    SBT - I am not sure that it is beter to organize a meeting in Africa. If we have the budget to organize a summit , as paris is just at the end of the fiscall year, I ma sure Icann can manage this and it will much less expensive in particular for travels. Concerning the meeting rooms I think it can be handel in Paris.
  contributed by sebastien.bachollet on Nov 20 4:27am

      Created by Jacqueline Morris on Nov 1 1:13pm. Updated by sebastien.bachollet on Nov 20 4:27am.   comment

    - 77 views - 6 revisions

            Settings - Login - Register - Help
   [input]   [input]                    Search

                      Save

                    Preview

                    Cancel

Simple Advanced Edit Tips

                                  Editing: motion on the Summit Proposal
    Insert...Inter-workspace linkLink to a SectionAttached ImageAttachment LinkTable of ContentsPage IncludeSection MarkerWhat's NewTag LinkTag ListWeblog LinkWeblog ListInline RSSInline AtomSearch ResultsGoogle SearchTechnorati SearchAIM LinkYahoo! IM LinkSkype LinkUser NameDate in Local TimeUnformattedConvoq LinkNew Form Page

                     Upload files

                    Add tags

   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]   [input]

       [input]   [input]    Upload Files
  Click "Browse" to find the file you want to upload. When you click "Upload file" your file will be uploaded and added to the list of attachments for this page.
  Maximum file size: 50MB
   [input]

   [input]   [input]  Add a link to the attachment at the top of the page? Images will appear in the page.
   [input]   [input]  Expand zip archive and attach individual files to the page

                      Done

   [input]

               [input]   File Name  Author  Date Uploaded  Size
                    Close

                    Delete Selected Files

      Save Page As
  Enter a meaningful and distinctive title for your page.
  Page Title:  [input]
  Tip: You'll be able to find this page later by using the title you choose.
                            Cancel

                    Save

      Page Already Exists
  There is already a page named XXX. Would you like to:
   [input]  Save with a different name:  [input]
   [input]  Save the page with the name "XXX"
   [input]  Append your text to the bottom of the existing page named: "XXX"
                            Cancel

                    Ok

      Upload Files
  Click "Browse" to find the file you want to upload. When you click "Add file," this file will be added to the list of attachments for this page, and uploaded when you save the page.
   [input]

   [input]   [input]  Add a link to this attachment at the top of the page? Images will appear in the page.
   [input]   [input]  Expand zip archive and attach individual files to the page?
                      Done

                    Add file

      Add Tags
  Enter a tag and click "Add tag". The tag will be saved when you save the page.

  Tag:  [input]

  Suggestions:
                      Done

                    Add tag

  Tags to apply: {var lastIndex = queue.length-1} {for tag in queue} <span class="st-tagqueue-taglist-name">${tag} <a href="#" onclick="javascript:window.TagQueue.remove_index(${tag_index}); return false" title="Remove ${tag} from the queue" class="st-tagqueue-taglist-delete">[x]</a>{if tag_index != lastIndex}, {/if} {/for}
{var lastIndex = matches.length-1}  {for t in matches}   <a href="#" onclick="TagQueue.queue_tag('${t.name|escapespecial|quoter}'); return false"     title="Add ${t.name} to page"     class="st-tags-suggestion"  >${t.name}</a>{if t_index != lastIndex}, {/if}  {/for}

Meryem Marzouki <marzouki at ras.eu.org> wrote:  Thanks for these details, Jacqueline. I was aware of the ALAC list
archives (http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/alac_atlarge-
lists.icann.org/), which are indeed public, but there was not much
discussion on this issue, and specifically on the 1st draft available
at https://st.icann.org/alac/index.cgi?motion_on_the_summit_proposal.

I was rather referring to the list of the working group (http://
atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/summit-wg_atlarge-
lists.icann.org), which requires authentification to access the
archives restricted to list members.

I've also found directions to a google group (http://
groups.google.com/group/icann-summit/web/icann-ensemble), but also
restricted to members (any application should first be approved). The
description of this google group is: "This group is for anyone
interested in helping to stage the ICANN At-Large Summit, tentatively
scheduled for the ICANN meeting in June 2008, to bring together all
of its At-Large Structures for the purposes of education and policy
development. "

Probably what should be made clear is that this "Internet users"
summit is nothing more than a meeting of At-large structures and
their current ALSes.

Best,
Meryem

governance at lists.cpsr.org