[governance] Intecessional Panel on CSTD

Renate Bloem rbloem at ngocongo.org
Fri Nov 10 07:10:56 EST 2006

Dear all,

At the conclusion of the Panel on "Promoting the building of a
people-centred, development-oriented and inclusive information society, with
a view to enhancing digital opportunities for all people" held at UNESCO in
Paris from 6-8 November, I would like to share a few thoughts on the process
and outcome. For more details on the agenda and programme see

<http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Meeting.asp?intItemID=2068&lang=1&m=12233&y
ear=2006&month=11>
http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Meeting.asp?intItemID=2068&lang=1&m=12233&ye
ar=2006&month=11

The objective of this Intercessional Panel was to discuss, prepare and make
recommendations to the next session of the CSTD to be held in May 2007 under
the same theme and in view of its new mandate of system-wide follow up of
WSIS. In addition, the panel also allocated space to continued discussion on
the traditional role of the Commission and proposed and created in this
context a WG on Africa.

As mentioned by Philippe before, as CONGO we had invested quite some effort
to make this Panel as inclusive as possible for all stake-holders.
Unfortunately, ECOSOC has not yet endorsed the list of CS WSIS accredited
entities, and will do so only - as we heard now - in its resumed session at
the beginning of 2007.

However, the UNCTAD Secretariat had invited as resource, experts or other a
few CS participants, including Parminder Singh and Delphine Nana, in
addition to ECOSOC NGOs. The good news is that as CS we could fully
participate in the discussion, not only in giving presentations, but on an
equal footing with governments and UN Officials in the debate. The PS gave a
good presentation during the Opening. There was indeed a very open spirit of
welcome towards all actors.

Parminder and myself were invited to participate in a small drafting group
to hammer out some of the proposals emanating from the discussion. They are
attached unedited.

Ambassador Karklins in his introductory statement and later Chile and
Brazil, very engaged, made it clear that this Commission is a follow up
Commission, distinct from implementing mechanisms.  But to do its job, it
will receive information from all WSIS implemenation mechanisms, including
from the ALFs, IGF, Global Allaince, Regional Commissions and any other
actor, in order to assess and make policy recommendations to ECOSOC.

In the CONGO statement I had asked for a trust fund for NGO participation.
We were pleased to hear from Charles Geiger that Switzerland has already
contributed and ask other governments to follow. More detailed information
will follow.

Best for today

Renate

Renate Bloem
President of the Conference of NGOs (CONGO)
11, Avenue de la Paix
CH-1202 Geneva
Tel: +41 22 301 1000
Fax: +41 22 301 2000
E-mil:  <mailto:rbloem at ngocongo.org> rbloem at ngocongo.org
Website:  <http://www.ngocongo.org> www.ngocongo.org

The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, membership association
that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and
decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the
presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United
Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For more information see our
website at  <http://www.ngocongo.org> www.ngocongo.org