[governance] Intecessional Panel on CSTD

NURSES ACROSS THE BORDERS nursesacrosstheborders at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 10:01:10 EST 2006

Madam President,
That was an excellent speech and all-inclusive as all
interests were adequately catered for.
We hope the next session of ECOSOC will address the
issues raised therein?
Hopefully, those of us that are or will be opportuned
to be at the next CSTD or ECOSOC sessions could
reinforce these positions as a means of consensus from
the CS.
Germane to the above is the issue of relaxing the
rules/regulations for visas to CS from the so called
developing nations for an inclusive participation by
all stakeholders-not necessarily changing the rules
per say, but NGOS should be assessed on their merits
and pedigree.
Thank you once again.
Pastor Peters OMORAGBON
Coordinator WSIS/ACSIS, Nigerian Chapter

<http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Meeting.asp?intItemID=2068&lang=1&m=12233&y
> [...]
> the traditional role of the Commission and proposed
> and created in this
> context a WG on Africa.
>

> As mentioned by Philippe before, as CONGO we had
> invested quite some effort
> to make this Panel as inclusive as possible for all
> stake-holders.
> Unfortunately, ECOSOC has not yet endorsed the list
> of CS WSIS accredited
> entities, and will do so only - as we heard now - in
> its resumed session at
> the beginning of 2007.
>

> However, the UNCTAD Secretariat had invited as
> resource, experts or other a
> few CS participants, including Parminder Singh and
> Delphine Nana, in
> addition to ECOSOC NGOs. The good news is that as CS
> we could fully
> participate in the discussion, not only in giving
> presentations, but on an
> equal footing with governments and UN Officials in
> the debate. The PS gave a
> good presentation during the Opening. There was
> indeed a very open spirit of
> welcome towards all actors.
>

> Parminder and myself were invited to participate in
> a small drafting group
> to hammer out some of the proposals emanating from
> the discussion. They are
> attached unedited.
>

> Ambassador Karklins in his introductory statement
> and later Chile and
> Brazil, very engaged, made it clear that this
> Commission is a follow up
> Commission, distinct from implementing mechanisms.
> But to do its job, it
> will receive information from all WSIS implemenation
> mechanisms, including
> from the ALFs, IGF, Global Allaince, Regional
> Commissions and any other
> actor, in order to assess and make policy
> recommendations to ECOSOC.
>

> In the CONGO statement I had asked for a trust fund
> for NGO participation.
> We were pleased to hear from Charles Geiger that
> Switzerland has already
> contributed and ask other governments to follow.
> More detailed information
> will follow.
>

> Best for today
>
> Renate

> Renate Bloem
> President of the Conference of NGOs (CONGO)
> 11, Avenue de la Paix
> CH-1202 Geneva
> Tel: +41 22 301 1000
> Fax: +41 22 301 2000
> E-mil:  <mailto:rbloem at ngocongo.org>
> rbloem at ngocongo.org
> Website:  <http://www.ngocongo.org> www.ngocongo.org
>

> The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international,
> membership association
> that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United
> Nations debates and
> decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective
> is to ensure the
> presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's
> governments and United
> Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For

   Pastor Peters OMORAGBON
Executive President/CEO
Nurses Across the Borders Humanitarian Initiative-Inc.-(Nigeria & U.S.A)
An NGO On Special Consultative Status with The Economic and Social Council of the United Nations-(ECOSOC)
Member(OBSERVER),United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
295, IKORODU ROAD, IDIROKO BUS STOP MARYLAND IKEJA LAGOS NIGERIA
350, MAIN STREET, EAST ORANGE NEW JERSEY 07018 U.S.A
Tel:+234-1-812-8649, +234-1-818-6494,+234-802-308-5408(Mobile)
FAX:+234-1-493-7203
Email:nursesacrosstheborders at yahoo.com

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.