[governance] IG caucus statement from Nov 13

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Mon Nov 14 04:37:15 EST 2005

Hi all,
the IG caucus made two interventions yesterday, Nov. 13.
The first one made by Bill Drake focused on the forum proposal. A copy
(hopefully it is the latest one) is attached, another one below in this
posting.

The second statement was made by Karen Banks. It addressed para 45c of
chapter 3 of the draft statement. We asked the chair to reopen the
aggreed language on the role of civil society with regard to Internet
matters. In particular we suggested to remove the words "expecially on
the communty level".
I don't have a copy of that statement but will ask Karen to post it to
the list.

We have prepared another statement for the subcommmittee A meeting
taking place this morning. The new statement reinterates our statement
on the forum and will be read by Willie Currie. The sense after the late
night meeting on Internet Governance chaired by Canada was that it is
about time to stress the purpose of the forum.

Canada, the US and some other governments like the forum to only focus
on capacity building and development issues. This is why we thought it
makes sense to remind the subcommittee A of the WGIG report's much
broader list of public policy issues.

We also plan for a statement on political oversight. We hope to be able
to put together something meaningful - despite all the disagreements
we've had on this issue in the past weeks.

best, jeanette

Statement of the Internet Governance Caucus

Thank you Mr. Chairman.  My name is William Drake, and I am President of
Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR).  On behalf of
the civil society Internet Governance Caucus, I would like to offer the
following thoughts on the Forum.  We would like to mention some
principles that we believe should help guide the forum’s design and
operation, and some related functions that we believe the forum could
usefully perform.

Guiding Principles

First, stakeholders from all sectors should be able to participate on an
fully equal basis in the Forum’s substantive work.  This is essential to
the forum’s legitimacy, and to its ability to attract the participation
of all relevant stakeholders.

In this connection, we would suggest that the frequently mentioned
phrase, “in their respective roles and responsibilities,” should not in
any way be used to limit the involvement of any stakeholder.

Further, we would insist that any group established to develop the
forum’s organizational design must involve the full participation of all
stakeholders.

Second, the forum should not be anchored in any existing specialized
international organization, but rather should be constituted as a
legally free standing entity in which such organizations would
participate alongside others.

Third, we note the interest in the Canadian proposal, and agree that
development and capacity building are essential objectives. However, we
would insist the forum should also address the other functions proposed
in the WGIG report, notably the monitoring and analysis of trends in
Internet governance, and the promotion of inclusive dialogue, recalling
the WGIG Report’s recommendation that the Forum should be a place where
  ‘any stakeholder can raise any issue.’

Fourth, The forum should not have a mandate to negotiate hard
instruments like treaties. In general, and only as needed, the forum
should focus on the development of soft law instruments such as
recommendations, guidelines, and declarations.  However, in very
exceptional circumstances when all stakeholders agree that more formal
arrangements are desirable, the forum could request that an appropriate
international organization facilitate the negotiation of such instruments.

Five, we reiterate that the Oversight Function should not be undertaken
in the Forum.  The Internet Governance Caucus concurs with the WGIG
Report that no single Government should have a pre-eminent role, and
that oversight should be multilateral, transparent and democratic, with
the full involvement of Governments, the private sector, civil society
and international organizations.  But it also believes that any reforms
to these ends should be undertaken in other organizational environments,
with which the forum would interface in the same manner as it does other
bodies.

Six, and in addition to promoting purposeful dialogue, mutual
adjustment, and the adoption of soft law instruments where necessary,
the forum should have a mandate to undertake expert analysis and the
monitoring of Internet governance trends.  These functions could be
performed by meshing a very lightweight secretariat with open
consultations and networks of external expertise, including partners in
the research community; and by making full use of the Internet and
related tools to foster virtual collaboration.

 From Principles to Functions

With regard to the Forum’s specific activities, and building on the
suggestions of the WGIG report, we recommend that the forum perform the
following functions:

a.	Foster inclusive dialogue based on the equal participation of all
stakeholders;

b.	Undertake the comparative, cross-sectoral analysis of governance
mechanisms with an eye toward "lessons learned" and best practices that
could inform individual and collective institutional improvements;

c.	Assess and monitor horizontal issues applicable to all Internet
governance arrangements, e.g. the promotion of transparency,
accountability, inclusion, and other guidelines for "good governance,"
such as the WSIS principles;

d.	Identify weaknesses and gaps in existing governance mechanisms,
especially multidimensional issues that do not fall neatly within the
scope of any existing body;

e.	Promote enhanced coordination among existing governing bodies, as
appropriate;

f.	Provide a clearing house for coordination and resource mobilization
to support meaningful developing country participation and capacity
building.

Thank you for your attention.