[governance] IG caucus statement from Nov 13

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Nov 14 04:42:50 EST 2005

Jeanette Hofmann ha scritto:
> We have prepared another statement for the subcommmittee A meeting
> taking place this morning. The new statement reinterates our statement
> on the forum and will be read by Willie Currie. The sense after the late
> night meeting on Internet Governance chaired by Canada was that it is
> about time to stress the purpose of the forum.
 >
 > Canada, the US and some other governments like the forum to only focus
 > on capacity building and development issues. This is why we thought it
 > makes sense to remind the subcommittee A of the WGIG report's much
 > broader list of public policy issues.

Thanks. Yesterday, while assisting to the drafting of the numbered list
(posted yesterday by Michael) and chatting with Adam and Willie, that
seemed to be the only major issue we had with a document we more or less
agree on.

If possible, I would like to get that explicit reminder that the Forum
should discuss at least the priority issues identified by the WGIG
report - that is a non-threatening and low profile way to open up the
doors to discussions on freedom of expression, privacy etc.

Also, the EU is meeting later today to discuss a more detailed position
about the forum. I will try to get a way to brief them about CS ideas
for the forum, but I'm wondering whether we should not start a lobbying
campaign. In particular, we could contact Canada & friends and ask them
to reconsider their "development-oriented" vision of the forum.