[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 10 07:16:13 EST 2005

At 10:17 AM -0800 11/9/05, Avri Doria wrote:
>On 9 nov 2005, at 09.15, Parminder wrote:
>

>>  Adam wrote:
>>

>>  I am sorry, if it is complicated - but I cannot simplify it to say
>>  that -
>>  yes I want governmental control over Internet.
>>

>This is an area where we have fundamental disagreement.  I would
>prefer for governments to have no role in oversight.  Recognizing
>that this impossible I see it as an acceptable compromise to share
>governance of the internet with governments.

What are we talking about, ICANN or issues broadly?

For ICANN I see no reason to do more than
"enhance the GAC". By that I mean giving it true
oversight: ICANN should have processes that are
predictable in timing and procedure, transparent
and rule-driven. GAC has oversight over those and
once a decision emerges from the Board at the end
of such a process, GAC's oversight power is to
say, yes, process followed therefore OK and
passed.  Or not OK, which case GAC justifies why
by indicating where the agreed process broke down
before the issue is sent back.  Of course ICANN's
a long way from having those kinds of processes
in place. But not unfeasible they could be
developed.

On broader issues, there would be different
structures, historic roles would perhaps define
the level of involvement. I think that's what is
behind the idea of stakeholders participating
commensurate with their respective roles and
responsibilities (and why the description of
civil society is important.)

Adam