[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Nov 9 14:45:38 EST 2005

Trying to summarise where we are up to/back to/currently at as regards
oversight role

Most of us see the unilateral control by USG as unacceptable in the long
term.

>From there on we probably have broad agreement as regards general public
policy oversight - yes, there is a role for governments in public policy
along with other stakeholders. (I haven't yet seen an argument that
governments have no role in public policy, and I haven't seen an argument
within CS that public policy is the sole domain of governments)

When we get into our current cyclical arguments on "all governments vs no
governments" we are generally talking about root zone authorisation role.

I content that the latter is a simple day to day management function and is
covered in our agreement that governments should not be involved in day to
day operations. Everything that matters about this is worked through
currently with good multistakeholder procedures, except for an unnecessary
and anachronistic authorisation function.

When the policy process has been carried out, this is just day to day
management stuff. The answer, then, is get USG out of the root, don't
replace the function, and shore up the current processes if necessary.

Ian Peter
Senior Partner
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
P.O Box 10670  Adelaide St