[governance] Pulling the plug on .mil

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 08:23:46 EST 2005

One of the fears expressed by many parties to this
discussion has been that current arrangements allow
for the possibility of a TLD (such as a ccTLD) being
unplugged from the root.

Just as I am sure that the U.S. would take all steps
necessary to remove even the remotest of possibilities
that the .mil domain could one day be removed from the
root, so too can I understand the passion of other
sovereign states with respect to protecting their own
namespace.

What is needed is a device to ensure a mutual level of
comfort -- I am suggesting a multinational treaty that
ensures that no TLD will ever be removed from the
root.  While this might potentially limit future U.S.
military options, I view this as a reasonable
trade-off to start making the peace between the U.S.
and the other nations that are a party to this
discussion.

I would hope that the USG would concur.