[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Nov 10 07:10:57 EST 2005

Parminder, thanks.  comment below.

At 10:45 PM +0530 11/9/05, Parminder wrote:

>oversight"? Do you mean this is a role for governments?
>
>Be specific please.>>>
>
>Sorry, I thought I have made my position clear in many mails - and therefore
>took it to be known....
>
>By political oversight I mean policy making authority over ICANN - however
>minimum, and certainly, clearly defined by principles and rules, that need
>to be laid out. And yes, only global governance system that can be
>considered legitimate in present circumstances is one which has a
>inter-governmental basis - though new forms can be tried here - and  CS
>needs to find spaces in this new system for IG to make it more accountable
>and representative.
>
>I am sorry, if it is complicated - but I cannot simplify it to say that -
>yes I want governmental control over Internet.

This was my concern when I read your earlier
messages. To be honest, I cannot remember anyone
from civil society saying they want governmental
control over the Internet. With respect,
borrowing your favorite response, it is
*completely unacceptable*.

Anyway.  I think we have lost the opportunity to
develop our positions on "oversight". Perhaps we
will be able to have a more productive discussion
when we are together in Tunis.  I hope so.

I think we need to recognize that what was agreed
long ago remains. It is not carved in stone, but
the basis for our work. It cannot be thrown out
on a whim. And we will all be careful to note
your and other comments when we come to drafting
caucus comments for the prepcom.

Thanks,

Adam