[governance] Ideas that this mailing list has agreed to

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Nov 10 09:39:12 EST 2005

Adam

You read my comment wrong

I said that the position I state may be complicated and

"I am sorry, if it is complicated - but I CANNOT (emphasis added now)
simplify it to say that -

yes I want governmental control over Internet."

But you quote me to say - I want governmental control over the internet.
This is quite unfair - I did not use 'headline' language for your positions
and therefore I request not to use 'sensationalizing' language for my
position. Especially since I clearly requested it not to be simplified in
terms that you insist on simplifying it into.

And I keep on insisting that my position is same as that of IGP response to
WGIG report, that of Hans Klein, that of Anriette (expressed on this list),
that of Carlos and many other people as well. And I have stated that my
organization has picked this view from many NGOs from the south including at
a recent massive feminist gathering (AWID)

And my position is exactly the same as APC is developing in a new doc, and I
had the pleasure of sharing and discussing many of these positions with APC
members who drafted these - and I completely supported all of it. And I
differ not on one word with it.

So when you say

>>> To be honest, I cannot remember anyone

from civil society saying they want governmental

control over the Internet.>>>>

of course you are carrying on from a wrong reading of my email. As for the
position I have discussed in many of my emails - which I once again request
NOT to be 'headlined' to 'I want governmental control over Internet' -
which, among other things, call for putting in place a convention/treaty
process - the same position is articulated by many. In fact some of these
positions are stronger than mine.

So I request you not to resort to 'labeling'. I am not stopping you from
going ahead and putting out whatever position you and others want to put out
- and I am not proposing that the earlier position be thrown out on my
'whim' - I already have twice asked you to go ahead if you think sufficient
consensus exists on the text.  An absolute consensus in such circumstance
will never obtain, and is very impractical to seek.

Parminder