[governance] Fwd: The US factor in the WSIS needs highlighting as much as the Tunisian factor

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Wed Nov 2 11:41:26 EST 2005

On 2 nov 2005, at 11.26, McTim wrote:

> On 11/2/05, Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> wrote:
>
>> Caro Vittorio,
>>
>> Could you be more specific? Sorry, but CS needs to define itself,
>> take
>> clearer positions, and the big stakes are around oversight.
>>

> I beg to differ Carlos. The "big stakes" are about connecting the
> unconnected.
>
> The tragedy of the failure of WSIS is NOT the lack of IG reform, but
> the lack of concrete action on bridging the digital divide.

Well an argument can be made that the current governance regime,
including the distribution of numbers, the allocation of names,  the
failure to make any progress on IDN, and the unilateral control
(including the implied threat to all enemies of the US) all
contribute to the degree of connectivity around the world.

I may not agree with all the arguments people make, but i don't think
they can be discounted out of hand.  And since this is the governance
caucus, it makes sense that we focus on governance on this particular
list and its contribution to the problem and to the solutions.

a.