[governance] Fwd: The US factor in the WSIS needs highlighting as much as the Tunisian factor

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Nov 2 21:02:49 EST 2005

McTim wrote:

>On 11/2/05, Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> wrote:
>

>>Caro Vittorio,
>>
>>Could you be more specific? Sorry, but CS needs to define itself, take
>>clearer positions, and the big stakes are around oversight.
>>

>I beg to differ Carlos. The "big stakes" are about connecting the unconnected.

I do not differ from you on the relevance of universal access, but I am
talking specifically about the big stakes in the WSIS IG discussion...

>The tragedy of the failure of WSIS is NOT the lack of IG reform, but
>the lack of concrete action on bridging the digital divide.
>
> "Overall
>

>>approach" means very little, and regarding the USA, what should we do?
>>Just wait and see, in a Darwinian, evolutionary approach?
>>

>I'm afraid we don't have the leverage to do much else.

Well, several countries will be trying to do something else. I hope CS is not just letting it go like this. What a sad end after so much discussion, furious typing and message exchanges! ;)

--c.a.