[bestbits] [Ext] Re: OFF-TOPIC - Brazil: Return to Terror

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Oct 29 18:55:12 EDT 2018

Bruna wrote:
> I dont personally think that the problem with Bolsonaro is neoliberalism

I may have the wrong end of the stick but my understanding of Parminder's
theme was that he was saying the swing to the right - of which Bolsonaro is
a symptom -  is a reaction to neoliberalism, not neoliberal itself.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 5:19 PM Bruna Martins dos Santos <
bruna.mrtns at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> from its responsibilities.
>>>
>>> The current Trumpian phenomenon is precisely the product of a
>>> trans-national elite seeking their common economic advantages often using
>>> the cover of social liberalism without economic egalitarianism -- where
>>> market without political governance was to be the defender of rights! This
>>> is a direct result of promotion of an one-sided talk of human rights --
>>> only civil and political ones and not social and economic ones, which have
>>> openly been flouted even ridiculed on , yes, IG civil society lists.... Dot
>>> ask me for real examples, bec I have followed this and I know many.... Ok,
>>> take two, the very concept and not just the real implementation of 'public
>>> interest' has been ridiculed on the NCUC (of ICANN's)website, to which many
>>> CS stalwarts of IG belong. A key leader of CS community has said 'social
>>> justice' is a meaningless concept, another that the term 'democracy carries
>>> baggage', and when appeals (like at UNESCO's key Paris meeting on IG) were
>>> circulated to simply ensure that social and economic rights get mentioned
>>> along with civil and public rights in the conf document there wasnt much
>>> sympathy on these lists.. And yes, also when all progressive civil society
>>> is fighting for a binding treaty on human rights abuses by corporations,
>>> key leaders write here why any such thing is a bad idea .... .I can go on
>>> and on ...
>>>
>>> And so lets not assume innocence about this creeping death of
>>> progressive and democratic ideals that the global trans-national elite has
>>> brought on us in blind pursuit of their global economic interests (Zizek's
>>> 'Clinton not Trump is the problem' precisely captures it).
>>>
>>> This is the dispossessed reacting against the global neoliberal excesses
>>> in the only ways they could think of, or were made available to them,
>>> however deleterious the results are finally going to be for them. But lets
>>> not look away from what or who is responsible here.....
>>>
>>> When we seethe  market, the embodiment of un-restrained self-interest,
>>> as the institution that will govern us in all areas (which is the
>>> definition of neoliberalism) including of rights, welfare, etc, then one
>>> can very well expect a Trump and a Bolsanaro to come along and say, well
>>> self-interest, fine, this is what it politically is, everyone fending for
>>> oneself and one's narrow interests, and avowedly and unabashedly so ...
>>> Trump and Bolsorno are the other side of the same trans-national
>>> neo-liberalism of which Internet governance space has been a key, often
>>> pioneering arena. It is a local, political response of the justifiably
>>> angry and dispossessed, even if a suicidal one... T and B are simply
>>> neoliberalism's narrow profession of unbridled self-interest without the
>>> spin and false sophisticated sheen that is just there to reflect away
>>> deserved criticism -- it is the proverbial chickens coming home to roost.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast