[bestbits] [DC] [governance] [Ext] Re: [IGFmaglist] IGF Best Practice Forum on Gender: Access

Dhanaraj Thakur dhanaraj.thakur at webfoundation.org
Tue Oct 3 12:42:32 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I appreciate the point about looking at gender from all angles including
those of men. We in the Caribbean are in (probably) a unique situation
where women outperform men in various areas (though not the important ones).

However, the IGF BPF on Gender is focused on/Internet access/. Research
(from the Web Foundation, ITU, and others) show that globally when we
look at access in terms of gender, women are less likely to use the
Internet than men. Thus, if we want more people to get online and
benefit from the Internet the way we do, we need to address why this gap
exists. In that sense, we therefore need to focus on women and girls
when it comes to access. This is why the IGF BPF on Gender has this
initiative now to identify ways to improve women's access in these
various areas.

Obviously, in some places women use the Internet at similar levels of
men. In fact in the Caribbean (for the few countries where there data
does exist), it appears that women are more likely to use the Internet
than men. However, that is not the reality for most of the world. As the
IGF BPF is global in scope (and as long as globally the Internet use
rate for women is less than men) I think the focus on women in terms of
gender and access makes sense.

take care,

Dhanaraj

--
Dhanaraj Thakur
Senior Research Manager

*World Wide Web Foundation | **1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500,
Washington DC 20005, USA.*