[bestbits] [DC] [governance] [Ext] Re: [IGFmaglist] IGF Best Practice Forum on Gender: Access

Jac sm Kee jac at apcwomen.org
Wed Oct 11 01:41:36 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I appreciate this robust discussion on gender. And I'm glad that the BPF
work has at least evoked this delving in with the IG community.

Gender /has/ become synonymous with women in some way, esp in the policy
field. This is because as Bishakha puts it, it's about structures of
discrimination and power. As cited through the many evidence and data
gathering work that was shared throughout this thread, women and girls
have been largely, disproportionately affected by this and face multiple
barriers to enjoy the same benefits and opportunities, especially in
science and tech, as men and boys. As such, it makes good sense to also
focus resources, work and attention to this particular piece of the pie,
as Bishakha puts it (seen in the thread below).

Within this, are two further issues. One: that gender is a spectrum,
rather than jst about women and men. The BPF's work has a working
definition of "woman" as also including those who self-identify as
women, and with that, hope to have a more inclusive and broader
definition. A first step if you can put it that way. Also, one of the
communities identified for this year's work was LBTQ women, but as this
is a community-driven initiative, with such a tight timeline, there
wasn't anyone who could be a focal point to this particular group. If
there is anyone here who may be interested to take this on, we would
greatly welcome this at the Gender BPF (please join the mailing list or
write to me offlist).

The second is about men and boys. I agree that they need to be part of
the solution. But this solution cannot be simply, "What about the men
and boys?" Gender is constructed through an interplay of power in the
family, social structures, economic power, religion, political
structures and so on. In all of these domains, there are clear
statistics and evidence that demonstrates the overarching dominance of
men in decision-making power and influence. So the question is, what
will men and boys do about this power?

There has been good work emerging around deconstructing masculinities,
in particular, harmful forms of masculinities that are built on the
basis of subjugating women as a group as well as other groups of men
perceived as "not being male enough." This has not been fully translated
into policy work yet, but policy is always slower and more deliberate in
pace. It would be good to start looking at research around harmful
masculinities in the domain of digital technologies and see how this can
inform our deliberation and work. Here's one that also includes really
interesting analysis around infrastructure and code:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1461444815608807

I also appreciate that intersectionality issues are raised in this
thread - that women are not singular, and that there are other
structural issues that has an impact on this, including age,
disabilities, sexualities, economic power, history of colonialism and so
on. But minimally, if we can't even address gender issues, which is one
of the most basic forms of identity markers that has an impact on our
rights and abilities, then we have little chance of addressing the more
nuanced and complex aspects.

And thank you for raising the fact that access barriers are not simply
jst about economic power. At last year's BPF work, the biggest barrier
that appeared was social and cultural norms, which underpins many of the
other forms of barriers. And also speaks to the value lag that you
mention Charity, which is a significant issue. Here's the link to the
report for easier referencing:
http://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/index.php?q=filedepot_download/3406/437

In the interim, much appreciated, as always, dissemination and responses
to the BPF survey for this year's work. The link is here:
https://www.apc.org/limesurvey/index.php/783797/lang-en

Best regards,
jac

Jac sm Kee
Manager, Women's Rights Programme
Association for Progressive Communications
www.apc.org | www.takebackthetech.net | erotics.apc.org
Jitsi: jacsmk | Skype: jacsmk | Twitter: @jhybe

http://lists.igcaucus.org/sympa/auto_signoff/governance/arsenebaguma%40gmail.com

http://lists.igcaucus.org/sympa/auto_signoff/governance/capdasiege%40gmail.com