[bestbits] IGF plus

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Sep 3 12:46:58 EDT 2013

Jeremy

My impression was that just a draft of the programhas been put forward
and it has still to go through discussions and approval of the group
before finalisation.. Is my impression right?

On the presumption that it is yet only a draft - I really  think we
should have at least a full half session on what really is
multistakeholderism. And that subject alone. I really am not sure what
most people here think it is . There is this silence zone around its
theory and practice. I have raised the question often. I think if there
is one difference that groups like IT for Change have with many other
groups in the IG space, it is about an understanding of MSism... And
while there can be real political differences, I dont see why we should
have such technical differences, just on the meaning and understanding
of terms. Lets try to thrash it out forever. And we can start this
discussion here itself, on this list. Importantly, I saw strong support
on this list for a specific discussion on what is MSism. I think these
views should be respected.

I also want the session on ITU plus WSIS 10 to rather on Public policy
making on global IG.... The responses to questionaire issued by the WG
on enhanced cooperation by ISOC, ICC, and many developing countries cite
OECD as one important place where global Internet policy making takes
place. At least now can we take it that indeed a lot of Internet policy
making takes place in OECD. (See the posting today on the IGC list
declaring a project implementing - globally - some parts of the OECD
Principles for Internet Policy Making). why do we only keep asking
questions of UN based Internet policy processes, and not from places
where some real policy making takes place.... We should discuss OECD's
*global* Internet policy making processes as well. And if we want the
IEG (Informal Experts Group) as the standard model by which ITU whould
do its Internet related polciy work, why do we hesitate to tell OECD
that it should use the same model, and none else.... What I suggesting
here is - Name this session - Where does global Internet policy making
take place, how, and what should CS do.

Thirdly, despite repeated appeals, I dont know why are we not ready to
to name session three directly as NSA or Snowden issue (something stated
a little better). The world thinks that global IG has changed forever
because of what Snowden has told us about NSA.... That is not just the
regular surveillance issue, that we have been talking in all IGFs and
should keep doing. There is a clear Snowden impact on the global
Internet - a huge impact. And we need to specifically discuss what this
impact is, and how US has to be confronted in its (still largely
unapologetic) global surveillance. That is a specific issue. And Again I
saw great support for discussing this particular issue at length, but in
the current draft this issue seem to be hidden as about one sixth of a
session, that too without mentioning the main actors, NSA, US gov and
Snowden.

thanks. parminder