[bestbits] Proposed constructive contribution towards enhanced cooperation post-WTPF

joy joy at apc.org
Sat May 18 23:38:21 EDT 2013

hi Jeremy - thanks for the work in developing this and thinking
innovatively about how to take this opportunity further.
In general, I like the idea of taking this specific proposal to the IGF
for multi-stakeholder opinions as ways to shape internet related policy.
But I caution against proposing this as a broad based solution to all of
the matters outlined in the preface to the proposal as drafted.
I think it better to specifically link the idea to just this Brazil
proposal - that will allow the idea and process to be tested and to
evolve. Perhaps I am mis-reading it, but I interpreted the framing of
the proposed process "a mechanism for beginning to implement the CSTD
Working Group's recommendation" for the IGF to "develop more tangible
outputs" as applicable to any proposal that might emerge ...
I think that wide framing will inevitably lead to concerns about the
issues it might not be suitable for and distract from the basic good
idea for this initiaitve now.
Also, I am not sure that going to the specifics of workshops, flipcharts
etc is a good idea either - I can see governments balking at that and
getting bogged down in detail, rather than responding to the basic good
idea of developing multi-stakeholder opinions together.
I suggest keep it more general and then open discussion on what the
methods should be, knowing that BB has a more detailed set of proposals
ready to table.
Another thought is that it would be good to float this with the Brazil
government - I recall that they brought the IBSA proposal to the IGF in
2011 and it did cause significant distraction - for many reasons - but
they may say they have tried this....
Sorry to comment and run - i am between flights on my way to the
Stockholm Forum - but think really it needs to be tightened.

Cheers
Joy

On 19/05/2013 1:44 a.m., Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> OK, here is the draft text in an etherpad:
>
> http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/igf-opinions
>
> A proposed schedule:
>
>   * Comments and edits close at 09:00 GMT on 20 May 2012, final text
to be moved to the Best Bits website.  Please discuss in this thread if
your comments are too long to be made directly in the pad.
>   * Endorsements collected from 10:00 GMT on 20 May 2012 via the Best
Bits website similar to the WTPF statement.
>   * Proposal delivered at IGF open consultation meeting on 21 May 2012
with endorsements as existing at that time.

<mailto:jeremy at ciroap.org>> wrote:

>> As you know, yesterday the WTPF concluded without a resolution on
this proposal by Brazil titled "Operationalizing the role of Government
in the multi-stakeholder framework for Internet Governance":

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gTewmlgXNTRYuPvIWylV2K39owgXH8st642I7IaXjh0/edit

>> Two of the options for what could happen to it instead were either
that it could go to the ITU's CWG Internet which is a government-only
group that meets in a closed format with open consultations, or that it
could go to the IGF.  The objection raised to the latter option was that
the IGF does not produce outputs.

>> I think that it might be useful for us to quickly produce a note for
next week's IGF to propose a method for discussing the resolution in a
more output-oriented way, that could be an alternative to its discussion
at the CWG Internet (but would explicitly not prevent it from also being
discussed at the CSTD WG EC, given that it is also relatively
multi-stakeholder).  This would not require the wholesale reform of the
IGF, but would be more of a trial run, to demonstrate what is possible -
and in an instance where there is a tangible need to do so.

>> I'm floating my intention to produce a first draft of this, which
would then be open for comments and amendments.  In our usual fashion,
anyone could endorse it if they agreed.  If one of us will be in Geneva
for the MAG meeting and is willing to do so, they could introduce it
there.  (I'm starting this on the Best Bits list rather than the IGC
list because the latter is a bit dysfunctional at the moment, but once a
draft is ready we'll post it there too.)

>> What do you think?
>>
>> --
>>
>> *Dr Jeremy Malcolm
>> Senior Policy Officer
>> Consumers International | the global campaigning voice for consumers*
>> Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
>> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia

https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

<http://www.consumersinternational.org/> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational