[bestbits] Proposed constructive contribution towards enhanced cooperation post-WTPF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun May 19 03:43:44 EDT 2013

On 19/05/2013, at 11:38 AM, joy <joy at apc.org> wrote:

> hi Jeremy - thanks for the work in developing this and thinking innovatively about how to take this opportunity further.
> In general, I like the idea of taking this specific proposal to the IGF for multi-stakeholder opinions as ways to shape internet related policy. But I caution against proposing this as a broad based solution to all of the matters outlined in the preface to the proposal as drafted.
> I think it better to specifically link the idea to just this Brazil proposal - that will allow the idea and process to be tested and to evolve. Perhaps I am mis-reading it, but I interpreted the framing of the proposed process "a mechanism for beginning to implement the CSTD Working Group's recommendation" for the IGF to "develop more tangible outputs" as applicable to any proposal that might emerge ...
> I think that wide framing will inevitably lead to concerns about the issues it might not be suitable for and distract from the basic good idea for this initiaitve now.
> Also, I am not sure that going to the specifics of workshops, flipcharts etc is a good idea either - I can see governments balking at that and getting bogged down in detail, rather than responding to the basic good idea of developing multi-stakeholder opinions together.
> I suggest keep it more general and then open discussion on what the methods should be, knowing that BB has a more detailed set of proposals ready to table.
> Another thought is that it would be good to float this with the Brazil government - I recall that they brought the IBSA proposal to the IGF in 2011 and it did cause significant distraction - for many reasons - but they may say they have tried this....
> Sorry to comment and run - i am between flights on my way to the Stockholm Forum - but think really it needs to be tightened.

Can you work on changes to the text to tighten it up?  If not I will be able to have a go tomorrow, though I have a deadline for a proposal that is also tomorrow so some assistance would be helpful.

Thanks.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 – Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map: https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.